Food Intolerance

Please refer to my Equal Eats card for my exact list of food intolerances.


A food intolerance is the inability to digest or absorb certain foods. For example, someone with lactose intolerance does not have enough of the enzyme lactase to break down the sugar (lactose) found in dairy products. You may experience intestinal gas, painful abdominal cramping or diarrhea, as well as potentially serious long-term health consequences. While the symptoms of a food intolerance or sensitivity may cause extreme discomfort, they are confined to the gastrointestinal tract and are generally not life-threatening.

Source: Food Allergy Canada



People can have an intolerance to many different things with most common being lactose, fructose, caffeine and sulfites. Whatever someone is intolerant too, it's important to take note and prepare food accordingly.

Can you have a serious reaction?

Unlike a food allergy, intolerances are not considered life-threatening, but they can cause extreme discomfort and illness. It is best to avoid the food in question entirely in order to stay well.


How To Prevent Cross-Contact and Accidental Environmental Exposure

Cross-contact and environmental exposure are often cited as top concerns for families managing food allergies. Cross-contact can occur through incidental contact with utensils, pots and pans, and preparation surfaces. Environmental exposure can occur through contamination of surfaces and are widely thought to occur through inhalation of allergen. This is a particular concern at school and on airplanes.

The good news is that allergens can be readily cleaned from hands and body parts, cookware and utensils, and environmental surfaces. Following are helpful tips to prevent environmental contamination:

  • When cleaning surfaces (such as desks, counters, tables, airline seats or tray tables, etc.), use a wipe that contains a commercial detergent (e.g., Clorox®, Lysol®, etc), or apply a spray-on detergent (e.g. Formula 409®, Fantastic®, Windex® Multi-Surface, etc.) and vigorously wipe the area that has come into contact with the allergen. In a 2004 study, dish soap did not remove peanut allergen.
  • Run contaminated pots, pans, and utensils through a normal dishwasher cycle or wash them by hand with hot, soapy water and scrub the surfaces thoroughly. Use a sponge, scouring pad, or dish rag that has not come into contact with the allergen. Rinse and dry thoroughly with a clean towel. Avoid just wiping down a knife or common utensil with a rag after touching an allergen (a common practice at sandwich shops).
  • For washing hands or face, use warm/hot, soapy water or a commercial “tidy” wipe. Hand sanitizing gel is not sufficient to remove allergens. This is important in the healthcare setting, as most healthcare facilities have moved to near-exclusive use of hand sanitizing gels for infectious purposes.


More info: Foodservice training

Source: FAACT - Cross Contact